Monday, April 27, 2009

How I got started in the bail bonds business

People often ask me how I got started in the bail bond business. I got started in this business in 1984. I answered an ad for a live-in babysitting job in Huntington Beach. To apply for the job, I was given directions to a bail bonds office in Norwalk. When I arrived, a man wearing gold chains and a Hawaiian shirt walked up to the counter. I told him I was there to apply for the babysitting job. He told me that position had been filled. He saw on my application I had computer experience. He said there was an office position available. I explained the reason I applied for the babysitting job was because I was looking for a place to live. He told me that could be arranged.

There was a second interview at a house in Huntington Harbor. He offered me $35 a week plus room and board no matter how many hours I worked. My job description would be limo driver and general office. I bargained for $50 a week.

I had just turned 19 and was living with my parents in their two bedroom house. My brother had just arrived back home from Germany after being discharged from the Army. With him he brought his wife and two sons who were now also living at my parents house. I had been sleeping on the couch because they had taken over my room. I was at that age when you get antsy to move out on your own anyhow. I had looked at rooms for rent and couldn't afford one so I thought a live-in job would be the next best way to go.

I was a business major at Cal State Long Beach. I had to withdraw from my classes in order to work at the bail bonds office. When I did this I told myself it would just be for a semester. I still have mild regrets about not finishing my degree and haven't completely ruled out doing so.

Well, the bail bondsman and the ex-college co-ed got to know each other pretty well spending all that time together driving and working long hours together. Eventually, we got married and had two children together in addition to the son he already had.

I was an integral part in transforming the image of the company. We did away with the gold chains and Hawaiian shirt image. It was replaced with a more professional style of dress, suits, slacks, dress shirts, etc.

No comments: